You should always be thinking fire safety around the house, but maybe a little more at this time of year, because we have more appliances to plug in. If you haven’t changed the batteries in your smoke detector for a while, do so! Make sure your family has a well rehearsed escape plan as well.
- Do a quick check around the house to make sure there are no flammable substances near your furnace.
- Don’t put your space heater too close to your bed, curtains, or furniture. Shut them off when you’re not using them, and never leave them unattended. Do not use them to dry off wet clothing like mittens or hats.
- If you have a chimney, make sure it totally clear so your fire can breathe. Do a quick visual inspection of the bricks on the outside to see that it is in good condition. Keep matched, lighters and candles away from children and pets.
- While doing your outside inspection, look for bad windowsills, loose shingles and slanting concrete from the snow and wind.
- Check all the outdoor light fixtures.
For more safety tips, or to schedule a free security evaluation call 1-800-265-5317 or just CLICK HERE.