Contrary to popular belief, apartments and condos are common targets for criminals
It’s easy to think that living in an apartment or condo means that you don’t have to worry about security. Nothing could be further from the truth. Apartments and condos are repeatedly targeted by criminals. What makes it easy for criminals is that people living in apartments and condos don’t dedicate enough resources to security, so once a criminal gets inside a building, he knows that it will be fairly easy to break into and rob multiple units.
Breaking and entering is one of the most common offences in Canada. On average, there is one break-in every three minutes in Canada.
Here are some crucial tips that will help you prevent apartment and condo crime.
- When you move into a new apartment or condominium unit, change your locks.
- Securely lock your doors and windows when you’re not at home. Especially if you live on the ground floor or have a balcony.
- When you’re entering your building make sure that no one sneaks in behind you.
- Some condos and apartments come with alarm systems installed. Be sure to use it. A home with a monitored security system is three times less likely to broken into.
- If your unit doesn’t have an alarm system, you should seriously consider getting one. Wireless alarm systems are easy to install and can further protect you against fire and water damage.
To schedule a free, no-obligation review of your home security plan, call 1-800-265-5317 or JUST CLICK HERE.