A new law out of Queen’s Park makes Carbon Monoxide warning devices mandatory in Ontario as of last Wednesday. The Community Safety and Correctional Services Minister of Ontario, Yasir Nagvi told the Toronto Sun that Carbon Monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that kills about 50 Canadians, including 11 Ontarians, each year.
“We know that carbon monoxide gas is a silent killer,” Naqvi told the Sun Tuesday. “It’s a serious issue and that’s why we’re taking the additional step of requiring carbon monoxide detectors to be in place in all residential homes.”
The next few months will see an emphasis on public education, but failure to install a Carbon Monoxide detefctor now carries a fine of $235.
Bill 77 is an update to the Ontario Fire Code that requires the use of carbon monoxide warning devices in houses, condos, apartments, hotels and university residences that have a fuel-burning device such as a fireplace, gas stove, water heater or furnace — or if the home is attached to a garage.
Here is the link to the Toronto Sun article. http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/14/ontarios-carbon-monoxide-detector-law-comes-into-effect
To learn more about adding Carbon Monoxide detectors to your security system, call 1-800-265-5317, of JUST CLICK HERE.