Furnace Vents

It’s been a heavy snowfall this last week. As a result, Windsor Fire and Rescue has a special warning. not about of fire calls but rather blocked furnace vents.

Fire officials say that snow blocking the exterior vents for a furnace, fire place or hot water tank can lead to a build-up of deadly carbon monoxide gas inside the home. News reports say the fire department has responded to several carbon monoxide alarms over the past couple of days.

AM800 News says Chief Fire Prevention Officer John Lee is urging homeowners to make sure the vents are clear. “I think it’s mainly because of the drifting. A lot of the vents were blocked against house and we want people to be aware to keep them clear.”


And if you’re shoveling, Lee says make sure you don’t pile snow in front of a vent.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because it has no taste or smell and is invisible.

Ontario passed a law in July 2014 making it mandatory to have working Carbon Monoxide detectors on every floor of a home with an attached garage or gas burning appliance such as a stove, fireplace or furnace.


To learn more about adding a monitored Carbon Monoxide detector to your security system, call 1-800-265-5317, or just CLICK HERE.


Scroll to Top