As the year draws to a close, it’s a perfect time to ensure your home remains a sanctuary of safety and peace. We’ve crafted a comprehensive end-of-year security checklist that everyone can benefit from, whether you’re a Security ONE client or simply someone dedicated to maintaining a secure home.
1. Survey Your Home's Exterior:
- Check for potential hiding spots for burglars and trim overgrown bushes or trees near windows and entryways.
- Ensure that exterior lighting is functioning and consider adding motion-activated lights to deter potential intruders.
2. Check Detectors:
- Replace the batteries in smoke, carbon monoxide, and intruder alarms, even if they haven’t run out. It’s always best to be proactive.
- Ensure detectors are free from dust and cobwebs by giving them a quick clean.
3. Secure Doors and Windows:
- Reinforce doors with deadbolt locks and ensure sliding doors have rods or bars to prevent them from being forced open.
- Check window locks and consider adding window sensors or glass-break detectors if you haven’t already.
4. Vacation Safety Tips:
- If you’re going away for the holidays, use timers for your lights to simulate presence.
- Hold mail and newspaper deliveries, or ask a trusted neighbor to collect them, so it’s not obvious you’re away.
- Inform a trusted neighbor or friend about your trip and provide them with emergency contact details.
- Keep your travel plans off social media until you return home.
5. Secure Wi-Fi and Smart Devices:
- Update passwords for your Wi-Fi network and any smart devices or systems you use at home.
- Regularly update the firmware of smart devices to ensure you have the latest security patches.
6. Organize Important Documents:
- Secure essential documents like passports, deeds, and insurance papers in a fireproof safe or safe deposit box.
7. Get to Know Your Neighbors:
- A tight-knit community is one of the best defenses against neighborhood crime. Consider starting or joining a neighbourhood watch program.
Incorporating these practices can make a significant difference in your home’s security as we transition into the new year. Your peace of mind is our ultimate goal, and we wish everyone a safe and joyous holiday season. Want to get through your checklist faster? Contact us today for more information on the best ways to protect your home with the latest technology!